Does Kroger Own Publix? (2023)

0
69

Many people were discussing the ownership of Publix by Kroger on social media. Kroger owned Publix. We have done our best to research the correct answer for our audience. Despite many similarities between these companies, there are some remarkable differences. Let’s explore the right ownership of Publix.

Does Kroger Own Publix?

Even though there are huge similarities between the two, it is clear that both these companies are driven by two separate ownerships. Kroger and Publix are two separate entities. Many people assume that both these entities are owned by the same authority. Both entities have the same suppliers of merchandise. Let us discuss the ownership of both these companies separately.

Kroger Company 

The Vanguard Group Inc. majorly owns Kroger.

Rodney McMullen Rodney McMullen is an influencer, Chairman, and CEO at The Kroger Corporation. He joined the Kroger Corporation, known as America’s largest grocery retailer. Rodney McMullen joined Kroger in 1978 as a part-time stock clerk in Lexington, KY, working through a college of (go Big Blue Nation!)Many companies and owners have shares in Kroger. Some statistics are mentioned here.

  • Shares Outstanding of Kroger comprise 715,806,319.
  • Short Interest Shares range up to 17,092,333
  • The Institutional Ownership of Kroger is 79.56%
  • Mutual Fund Ownership comprises 36.1%
  • Insider Ownership is up to 0.82%
  • Top 10 Instn Holders are up to 43.14%.

Publix Super Markets, Inc.

Publix Super Markets, Inc., also known as Publix. This entity is an employee-owned American supermarket chain. It is headquartered in Lakeland, Florida. Originally this company was founded by George W. Jenkins in 1930. Publix is a private corporation. The major share comprises present and past employees and members, with employees owning about 80% of the company. Another share is of the Jenkins family. The Financial magazine named Barron’s estimated that the average employee holds $150,000 in stock and that some stalwarts may have seven-figure holdings. The remaining 20% is owned by the Jenkins family, worth around $8.8 billion.

What other companies are owned by Kroger?

We learned that Kroger and Publix have separate ownership, yet there are some other companies that Kroger owns. These companies include

  • Ralphs
  • Fred Meyer
  • Baker’s
  • Harris Teeter
  • Food 4 Less
  • QFC
  • King Soopers
  • Kroger Fresh Fare
  • Smith’s Food And Drug
  • Gerbes 
  • Pick’n Save
  • Ruler
  • Mariano
  • Kroger owns City Market and many other companies, but Publix is not one of them.

Can Kroger buy Public shortly?

A year ago, Publix announced that it was about to sell itself. But do you think that Kroger intends to buy it? In 2015, Kroger owned Hariss Teeter for 2.5 billion, which was situated in the southeast, where it was standing as a major competitor to Publix. Publix is much bigger than Hariss Teeter!Publix has a large asset, and it is still being determined whether Kroger intends to buy it.

What is the similarity between Kroger and Publix?

They receive much of their inventory from the same suppliers. They stock similar items on their shelves, giving people an assumption that Kroger has owned Publix. Many items which both companies stock include 

  • Pet Supplies
  • Health products
  • Produce
  • Seafood
  • Beer & Wine
  • Floral
  • Home goods
  • Deli
  • Bakery
  • Meat
  • Nutritional products
  • Tobacco
  • Plant-based products
  • Greeting cards
  • Frozen foods
  • Dairy items
  • Baby food
  • Baby products
  • Hygiene items
  • Movies
  • Books
  • Paper & Plastic household items
  • Liquor
  • Gift Bags
  • Balloons
  • Wrapping paper
  • Personal care
  • Pharmacy services
  • DVDs 
  • Automotive items
  • Cleaning products
  • Meal Kits and more

Kroger versus Publix

Kroger has 2,850 locations, including 2,721 supermarkets and 129 jewelers, as of 2022. While Publix has 1,306 locations, mainly in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. Depending on you and your demand, you have to choose between the two. A large variety of items is being stocked on the shelves at Kroger. You can find any specific product for which you are longing. On the other hand, the fair attitude of employees at Publix made it lovable among customers. Both stores offer high-quality products to their customers. But if you are short-handed and on a budget, you should go to Kroger instead of Publix. Publix has bit more prices than Kroger. It comes to your preference for which you need.

Conclusion;

Kroger does not own Publix, yet it is mainly an employee-owned company. Kroger owns many other companies. It needs to be clarified that Kroger will buy Publix in future. Both companies serve people at competitive prices, but your arrival at any store depends on your preference.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here